Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Observation Week 3

This week during observation I felt a sense of comfort that I was getting the information with an objective eye. I was alittle tired and the rain with the cool air didn't help. I was surprised at how energized the children were and that nothing would be able to interfere with their learning through play. The room was filled with three children when I arrived and as the day progressed many more flowed in with rain attire. The students remained in doors most of the morning until the rain settled and then they were moving at lightning speed when the teacher announced that they were preparing to go outside. I wasn't exactly thrilled about heading out in the cold, but I had to follow the children so I could take notes to what the activitity choices and conversations they engaged in. I couldn't help but notice that the whole time I was out observating the childrenI had a smile on my face. They were doing so many different things and were requesting the attention of onlookers, their teachers and peers. I wouldn't verbally express myself to the children so I thought to use non verbal communication which seemed to work just as well.

One activity that I observed is a male student aged three playing in the dramatic play area, he gets a pot from under the sink and places it on the stove. He proceeds to get another pot with his right hand and going through the dishes with his other hand that were also located at the bottom of the stove. He finds a lid and bends back up from under the stove places the lid on the pot on the stove. Another male student then comes over and the first students says "it's hard to make this. Don't touch it." the second student says "I want to try it." But the first student insist by repeating the word "no don't touch it" and the other student walks away.

The developmental skills that the student was using with this activity included creative play, motor skills, and social awareness.
An activity that I would plan for this child would be assisting  making playdough for the classroom. This would help the student gain and expand his developmental skills in the following areas: gross and fine motor, sensory, cognitive (measuring, counting, science density of a dry material versus a wet one), and self esteem (having responsibilities and cleaning up after self).

2 comments:

  1. Hi Janet:

    I, too, felt a little out of sorts with the weather, and I've got a cold and blocked ears--I'm a mess ;-) but the show must go on. And the show definitely goes on for the kids. They love the rain; I know I did as a child. I had the yellow slicker and boots, which were pointless because I stomped in every puddle I could find on the way home from Fremont with my older brothers.

    I enjoyed your description of the kitchen scene with the 2 boys. It's not hard to figure out their inspiration. And I really like it that the boys are allowed access to this area because it gives them the message that it's OK and that the kitchen is not just for girls. Hopefully they'll carry this interest into adulthood and blur if not eliminate gender-based roles. Just this last week I overheard a group of ladies in a school break room lamenting the fact that they had to do all the housework, including cooking and cleaning up, and that their boyfriends/husbands didn't help because they felt they were exempt because they "worked." But I suspect the guys just felt that was "women's work." And besides, these women WERE working.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janet! Can you e-mail me cynthia.viera@lausd.net I need to talk to you about one of the comments I posted that is not showing anymore. I remember posting about an example I had during my observation that was similar to yours but my example took place in the play kitchen. I even quote Jim and agreed with what he said but I do not see the comment. Thanks!

    -Cynthia

    ReplyDelete