Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Week 11: Overall view of Observations

Today was my last day observing the children, I've completed my 45 hours and it feels absolutely wonderful knowing that I can relax (meaning I don't have to wake up early on tuesdays anymore since I dont work until 2). But on the other hand I enjoyed getting to learn all of the children and the things they enjoy doing. It was a bitter sweet moment. Today's observation went well I spend the majority of the time tracing my student for observation assignment 5. He is always there and on time, which is wonderful because I can  get the information I need every time I observe or have to worry about whether or not he will be present when I show up. The children were all over the place and very engaged in their creative play, jumping from one activity to the next. Some of the students got an opportunity to go on a nature walk.

As I look back over my observations for the last 11 weeks I think that when I first started observing the students I was kind of anxious and unsure of what was going to happen. As the weeks progressed and I begin to pick on who the students were and the things that enjoyed doing, observations were becoming alot easier to do. The things that would affect how observation went were the weather and lack of sleep. The children were always energized and looking to find some way to channel all that energy. I have a greater appreciation for teachers especially preschool teachers because some days the students completely took over the classroom and their wasn't much that the teachers could do. After taking so many CDECE classes I understand the importance of the classroom setup, curriculum planning, and observations and assessments. Looking at the developmental skills and levels of the children, it is so amazing to just sit back and observe how "smart" children are. I just sit back and wonder just how smart I was as a child. A play based curriculum is extremely valuable to children and their education.

I now see the value of observations and how observing the behaviors and practices of educators can assist future educators in the field. I witnessed first hand children developing in all six areas:  spoken language, cognitive, social, physical, emotional, and emergent reading and writing.

3 comments:

  1. Hello, The Mysterious Janet. ;-)

    From doing the elementary detective work you suggested (process of elimination) I sorta figured out that it might be you. But then I thought, wow, this could actually be some famous person needing anonymity while he/she was secretly doing some court ordered self improvement. So you're not Lindsay Lohan then? Awwww.....ok, that's enough silliness. :-)))))))

    I really like how you summed up your observation experience, which was probably sort of typical for most of us--maybe? Like you I felt uneasy at first, but then I started feeling more relaxed because I was just myself; and that made all the difference in the world. I'm sure I interacted with the kids a little more than LBCC would have liked, but I think it made the children act more like themselves, or much more so than if I'd been lurking on the sidelines scribbling on a clipboard.

    I laughed when I read your comment about the kids sometimes taking over the classroom. I guess I did see a day or two when the kids were pretty wild in our room. The play based curriculum allows for this, but then the kids have to make the quantum leap into kindergarten where all of a sudden the play time is cut way back. And the big problem is that they've picked up the expectation that "it's all fun and play" and carry that attitude into 2nd grade, like the class I subbed for in San Pedro today. The teacher even apologized BEFORE I even walked into the room, and this is a highly respected, older teacher.

    So what is my point? I don't know, except that I'm wondering why it is that these kids are so loud and have so little regard for each other's space or property. And it seems to be getting worse each year. OK. That's enough on that.

    Hooray for us Janet in making it through the 45 hours and the other work, too--which isn't quite over with yet but quite doable I think. Take care, Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so agreeing with you on the relaxation part. I do however feel that observation is the second best tool in helping to develop the children's developments but interaction is the first and oh how i love that so much better. Somethings i rather observe, like someone making me something to eat rather than me having to make it myself.:) But for children I love teaching, laughing and just getting involved. Also, glad to see that you choose a child that has perfect attendance!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same way Janet!

    I hated going to the center so early in the morning! Yet, I knew it was worth it after all the children came through the door. The only the good thing aside from all the knowledge I gained is that I can work again on Tuesdays! Because this observation time would be in the way and so I had to take a day off from work. Which made my pay check pretty lame.

    Having a child with perfect attendance was a great idea. I chose a child that was absent once but I chose him because he is very interesting.

    ReplyDelete